Monday 13 July 2015

Books that have changed me.

Sue has thrown out the challenge to write about books that have changed us, and because I couldn't even come close to picking one book, I have compiled a list below of books that have had an impact on me. As you will be able to tell, I fell in love with reading as a child and never really progressed past the genre of children's fiction. I will probably need to have some kids of my own at some point so I can justify re-reading them again (and again, and again...)



1. The Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My Mum read this series of books to me when I was probably around age 5 or 6 and I can still vividly remember being snuggled up on the bed, staring at the pages trying to read ahead because I was so absorbed in the story. The story is about a family in the midwest region of America in the late 19th century. Its a very simple story, with a child like narrative. Every part of their life is ordered and everything has its place. Great detail is placed on the joy of receiving a bag of white sugar (a rare luxury) for Christmas or the process of hunting deer and preparing them to be stored away for winter. This book opened up the world of reading to me, and from a young age I found delight and escape in books.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis
I would not be surprised if this appeared on most peoples lists as it really is one of the best series of books written in my opinion. I have read the series at various different times of my life, and each time found a new reason to love the world of Narnia that Lewis created. I first read it when I was around the age of 10 and was blown away that there could be an entirely new universe just waiting at the back of my wardrobe, ready for me to explore. Over time I have been able to recognise the various religious and mythological themes within the text and can really appreciate the beautiful world of Narnia and the mastery of Lewis as an author. I feel like this book opened up the world of fantasy to me and showed me the limitlessness of imagination.

3. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
If you haven't read this series, you need to stop what you are doing, go directly to your library, book shop or e-reader and get this trilogy immediately. My boyfriend recently lent me the first book of this epic trilogy, and after months of him pestering me to read it, and me stubbornly ignoring him (I hate people recommending me anything; books, movies, menu items, medical advice, speed limits...) I finally gave in and read Northern Lights. After finishing it in about a week, I demanded he lend me the second novel and ravenously devoured that too. By the time I got to the second half of the third and final book, I attempted to read it as slowly as possible, because I knew that this was the kind of story that I should savour, because reading a story like this for the first time was an experience that very rarely happened and I should relish every word that I had left. It reminded me of reading the final Harry Potter book, there is definitely something magical about reading a story that good for the first time.

4. Monkey Grip by Helen Garner
This is one of the few 'adult' books that has really touched me. I first read this as a teenager. I grew up in a small country town in Gippsland and could hardly wait to finish school and move to the big city. What really captured me was not initially the story line, but the way Garner writes about Melbourne. It made me fall in love with a city I had only visited a handful of times. I craved to ride my bike along St Kilda road in the middle of a summers night and to feel the chill of winter in a run down old terrace house in Carlton. As I grew up and moved to the city, I re-read Monkey Grip and found a whole new appreciation of the honesty of Garners writing and the accuracy of her depiction of Melbourne.

5. Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes
For the final book on my list (I could keep going, but you're probably a bit bored by now) I had to include something by Marian Keyes. Rachel's Holiday would have to be one of the funniest, saddest, most romantic and interesting novels I have ever read. From the cover, it appears to be your standard 'chic lit' book, just a bit of light and fluffy nonsense to tide you over during a long flight. But you know what they say about book covers and judging. This book takes a look into addiction at its rawest, ugliest angle and gives the reader an insight into the mind of a junky. But it has a key element that makes it different to anything I've ever read; Marian Keyes is probably one of the funniest writers to ever exist. I have found myself wiping tears from my eyes and silently shaking with hysterics on tram rides reading this book. I have annoyed my friends by constantly reading passages out to them. I have shoved this book into the faces of strangers who look a bit sad on the street. I have found myself thinking about parts of this book at work and having to make strange ugly faces to try and hide the giggles that overwhelm me. This book, as well as pretty much anything Marian Keyes has written has shown me that there is a fine line between comedy and tragedy and there's no reason why the two can't mix. In fact it's a lot nicer if they do.

4 comments:

  1. Really great blig post Liz! I love your list and your evocations of hiw they affected you. Well, your off and rolling. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I just noticed that I typed blig instead of blog, hiw instead of how, and your instead of you're. Did you get that optometrist job by the way? I might need glasses ;-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always do everything my dear niece Elizabeth tells me to do, so I paused at #3 to reject delayed gratification and get His Dark Materials on my kindle. I'll finish Kerry Greenwood's Phrynne Fisher Mystery, Urn Burial, and start Dark Materials. I too love books that tell me about Melbourne, Gippsland, and elsewhere in Australia, Liz. (I've read all but 4 of the Phrynne Fisher mysteries, and I so much enjoy Greenwood's feel for Melbourne, Sidney, Ballarat, Bendigo, and now in Urn Burial, Buchan Caves. And how happy your American grandmother Anne would be to read your comments on Little House in the Big Woods, and what you said about gratitude for a bag of white sugar at Christmas. She was the youngest of a family whose grandmother married again after her husband died, and there was a 2nd much wealthier family of younger children. At Christmastime, the younger kids got a horse, and your Grandma Anne and her sisters and brothers got candy bars. But they liked candy too! Reading -- what a joy! Thank you for this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete